WORD

I have been feeling very weary lately. Life is overwhelming. Being constantly weary and overwhelmed isn't fun, but there is one advantage: it forces you to let go and depend on God more.

As I've been trying to depend on God to comfort me through my fears and weariness, I've been spending more time in the Word. My Bible has been very close to me these last few days. A lot of my friends are weary as well. One has been taking her Bible with her everywhere; if it was waterproof, she'd be reading in the shower. She and I met for coffee the other day and were able to share some truth in the Word with each other. It was beautiful. The Word is so good.

But sometimes, I don't think it's enough. Just a few hours after that great time of speaking truth from the Word, I was driving in my car dialoguing with God. I was telling Him that His Word is great and all, but I want more. I want Him to show up in tangible ways. I want Him to make financial support come in today. I want Him to take away my fears of leaving South Dakota. I want Him to restore strained friendships. I want Him to do what I think is best. I actually said to Him, "God, I want more than your Word. It's just not enough today."

WOW. As soon as I thought it, I realized there is a huge reason I'm not experiencing Him in these tangible ways: I didn't think His Word was enough. I didn't want to trust that if He says it's true, it is. No wonder I was feeling weary and overwhelmed!

I've reread so many passages lately, but they weren't comforting me because I wanted comfort outside of the Word. I wanted manna from heaven, the parting of a sea, some big healing, some money, SOMETHING! Wanting those things isn't bad; but we need to want God more than those tangible blessings. I need to want God more than those tangible blessings.

This summer, I've been spending some time in Job, and 15:11 says
Is God’s comfort too little for you?
Is his gentle word not enough?


That stings a little. I was feeling like His comfort and Word wasn't enough. Thankfully, God showed me my distorted heart. And He chose to still bless me with His Word. There are so many great passages that have been speaking truth to me this past week. Since we need His Word so much, I figured I could share them with you. I personally refer to them as "verses to cling to in your fear and pain." Here we go!

Psalm 145:13-20
The Lord always keeps his promises;
he is gracious in all he does.
14 The Lord helps the fallen
and lifts those bent beneath their loads.
15 The eyes of all look to you in hope;
you give them their food as they need it.
16 When you open your hand,
you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in everything he does;
he is filled with kindness.
18 The Lord is close to all who call on him,
yes, to all who call on him in truth.
19 He grants the desires of those who fear him;
he hears their cries for help and rescues them.
20 The Lord protects all those who love him,
but he destroys the wicked.


Psalm 143:8
Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to you.


Isaiah 55:8-13
“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord.
“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.
9 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so my ways are higher than your ways
and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.



10 “The rain and snow come down from the heavens
and stay on the ground to water the earth.
They cause the grain to grow,
producing seed for the farmer
and bread for the hungry.
11 It is the same with my word.
I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
12 You will live in joy and peace.
The mountains and hills will burst into song,
and the trees of the field will clap their hands!
13 Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow.
Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up.
These events will bring great honor to the Lord’s name;
they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.”

Lamentations 3:31-33
31 For no one is abandoned
by the Lord forever.
32 Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion
because of the greatness of his unfailing love.
33 For he does not enjoy hurting people
or causing them sorrow.


Hosea 14:8
“O Israel, stay away from idols!
I am the one who answers your prayers and cares for you.
I am like a tree that is always green;
all your fruit comes from me.”


Romans 5:3-5
3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

Psalm 57:1-3
1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy!
I look to you for protection.
I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings
until the danger passes by.
2 I cry out to God Most High,
    to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.
3 He will send help from heaven to rescue me,
disgracing those who hound me.
My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness.


John 15:5
Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

Philippians 4:4-7
4 Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! 5 Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.


Psalm 139 (You'll want to look that one up yourself!)

Summary of my learnings from the Word:
God is close. He's keeping His promises. He's showing me where to go. I need to trust Him. He works in ways above my ways. I can't understand it, but He's working. God won't abandon me. He is full of love and compassion. He answers me. He cares for me. All of the good I experience comes from Him. I can rejoice. God is graciously refining me. He loves me. He will fulfill His purpose for my life. He is sending forth His love and faithfulness. I cannot do anything on my own. Everything I do is through Him and His abilities. I'm called to rejoice and not worry. I'm called to pray. I'm called to give thanks and experience peace. I'm called to trust His Word because it's enough. It's enough for me, and it's enough for you. This truth applies to all of us. Praise God!

1 comment: