Joy and Sadness in Reunions

In August 2012, I embarked on a year-long journey to Ghana with seven other people. 

It was a hard year. It was a beautiful year.

Somehow, all eight of us survived. 


Since returning to the U. S., we have been scattered. Some of us get to see each other more often than others, but we hadn't reunited in over a year until this past weekend.

On Saturday, two of those goobers got married (Marie and Shane -- the two in the back on the right in the picture above). The rest of us have seen it coming since the beginning of our time as a team. Their journey has been a privilege to watch unfold.

The wedding itself was beautiful. Stunning bride. Handsome groom. Both love Jesus with their entire being. And now they are one. So, so beautiful.

But in addition to the beauty of a wedding, there was the beauty of a team reunion. We hugged. We laughed. We reminisced about the good things. We briefly mentioned some of the hard things. We hugged some more. And we danced like highly-caffeinated baboons. It was beautiful.

My heart was so stinkin' full of joy. 



So full of joy. (And thanks to Danielle and Brittany for taking pictures. And for posting them on Facebook so I could steal them for this post. Me da ase pa!!!)

Although it was brief, there were great moments involved, and there was plenty of quality time. Like story time with the sweet bride as we killed time before the ceremony. (Note the elephant. I felt the love.)


And sleepovers. 


It was so good.

Then we parted ways. We hopped into different cars. I headed west, and everyone else headed east, or south, or north. Just like that, it was over. Our reunion ended.

I was expecting the end. I knew it would come. But I wasn't expecting the heartache to come with it. Our team said goodbye, and my heart was so heavy and sad. 

Last night, I didn't have a sleepover. After three happy nights of pillow talk and shared rooms, I slept alone in my own room. Although I enjoy alone time, it was difficult to not have that epic pillow talk with those sweet women. 

That reunion reminded me of how much I miss those teammates, of how they hold very important places in my life. 

Those seven friends saw me at my worst, and they loved me through it. Even though we don't live and work together anymore, they are forever my Ghana team. 

When we parted ways over a year ago, my heart went through a grieving process for my team and the home we had in Ghana. And after our sweet, short reunion, my heart is going through another grieving process. Goodbyes are hard. I miss those friends. And it makes me cry. I'm trying to convince them to move to South Dakota, but it's just not working yet. 

But until they move closer, I'll rejoice in the beauty of the moments we had together during both this past weekend and our time in Kumasi. 

And I'll rejoice knowing that God is good, and his plan is good. It's good that the eight of us had months in Ghana together. And it's good that we are scattered now. My heart's just a little sad because those people are my people and I miss them greatly.

However, the next reunion will come. We will hug. We will laugh. We will reminisce about the good things. We will briefly mention some of the hard things. We will hug some more. And we will dance like highly-caffeinated baboons. It will be beautiful. And maybe I will take some pictures on my own phone next time. Either way, it will be beautiful, and I cannot wait.

Thank you Ghana friends, for all of the memories and all of the love. Thank you for being willing to drive long distances to celebrate life together. See you soon. In South Dakota...

And thank you other friends. I am so thankful for all of the sweet reunions that have happened in the past year, and I can't wait for more. Each reunion outweighs each goodbye every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment