Ghana and my Brothers

Neither of my two brothers have ever been to Ghana. I don't think either of them have a desire to come here, but then again I've never asked them.

The other day as I was thinking about my feelings for Ghana, I realized I could make some few comparisons between this country and my younger brothers. ("Some few" has now become a common phrase among my teammates. We learned it from our Ghanaian friends. I apologize if it bothers you, but it's an unfortunately catchy word combination.)

I love my brothers. When they were babies, I really loved them - no: I was obsessed with them. I loved to hold them and play with them. They were better than toys. Then they got older. They became my playmates. We would do lots of crazy things together. We wrestled a little; I bossed them around a lot. It was great.

I love Ghana. When I came on a three-week mission trip to Ghana in 2009, I really loved Ghana. I was delighted by all of the new things I was experiencing. I enjoyed the people, the scenery, the children, and I even tolerated the weather.

I love my brothers, but they irritate me. Sometimes, all I can think of doing is smacking them upside the head. There are times when there really doesn't seem to be any other option. When I was younger, I thought biting was the only option. Thankfully, Chris has no scars, and we've all moved forward. I think both of those boys would prefer a loving smack rather than a painful bite in the back, arm, or foot. Don't you?

I love Ghana, but oh man, does it irritate me! Sometimes, all I can think of doing is smacking it upside the head. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but I have yet to figure out a better way for Ghana to understand my frustration. Some few things I struggle with include: the different attitude toward time, the climate, the bugs, and the lack of coffee shops.

Even though my brothers push my buttons when they're being foolish teenage boys, I love them. I thoroughly enjoy rejoicing in their joys. I'm more than willing to cry with or for them and share in their sorrows. We're connected. We've had plenty of bad moments, but I'm committed to being on their side in every moment. I love my brothers. I wouldn't even trade them in for perfect, law-abiding brothers. They're stuck with me, and I am extremely grateful for that.

Even though Ghana pushes my buttons with all of it's differences from home, I love it. I thoroughly enjoy having the opportunity to rejoice in the joys the nation experiences. I have definitely wanted to weep over the injustice present. I don't want to admit it, but Ghana and I are connected, and we always will be. We have had plenty of bad moments - just ask some of my close friends and family members; I have had moments full of bitterness toward Ghana. But I'm still committed to being on Ghana's side for the rest of my life. That doesn't mean I'll always be here (I hope), but Ghana will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Yesterday, we had a prayer meeting with our Ghanaian staff. I shared about Isaiah 62. It's Isaiah's prayer for Jerusalem, and last July, I made it my lifelong prayer for Kumasi.

Because I love Zion,
I will not keep still.
Because my heart yearns for Jerusalem,
I cannot remain silent.
I will not stop praying for her
until her righteousness shines like the dawn,
and her salvation blazes like a burning torch.
2 The nations will see your righteousness.
World leaders will be blinded by your glory.
And you will be given a new name
by the Lord’s own mouth.
3 The Lord will hold you in his hand for all to see—
a splendid crown in the hand of God.
4 Never again will you be called “The Forsaken City”[a]
or “The Desolate Land.”[b]
Your new name will be “The City of God’s Delight”[c]
and “The Bride of God,”[d]
for the Lord delights in you and will claim you as his bride.
5 Your children will commit themselves to you, O Jerusalem,
just as a young man commits himself to his bride.
Then God will rejoice over you
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride.

6 O Jerusalem, I have posted watchmen on your walls;
they will pray day and night, continually.
Take no rest, all you who pray to the Lord.
7 Give the Lord no rest until he completes his work,
until he makes Jerusalem the pride of the earth.
8 The Lord has sworn to Jerusalem by his own strength:
“I will never again hand you over to your enemies.
Never again will foreign warriors come
and take away your grain and new wine.
9 You raised the grain, and you will eat it,
praising the Lord.
Within the courtyards of the Temple,
you yourselves will drink the wine you have pressed.”

10 Go out through the gates!
Prepare the highway for my people to return!
Smooth out the road; pull out the boulders;
raise a flag for all the nations to see.
11 The Lord has sent this message to every land:
“Tell the people of Israel,[e]‘Look, your Savior is coming.
See, he brings his reward with him as he comes.’”
12 They will be called “The Holy People”
and “The People Redeemed by the Lord.”
And Jerusalem will be known as “The Desirable Place”
and “The City No Longer Forsaken.”
 
I loved Kumasi before I experienced it, and I committed to being neither still nor silent. I committed to be a watchwoman praying for this city. I don't want to give up on it. I don't want to take rest from praying for Ghana, and I don't want to let the LORD rest. I want him to do his work here, and I want to expect him to do great things that only he can do.

I will not stop praying for Kumasi until her righteousness shines like the dawn. I want the presence of the LORD to be so, so noticeable here. I want the citizens of Kumasi and all of Ghana to know Jesus; I want them to know God's heart.

You see, I've had this attitude, but I wasn't willing to admit how much I love Ghana. But yesterday, our beloved regional director pointed out that my love for Ghana was noticeable. His statement honestly scared me. I don't want to love Ghana. I'm afraid of fully loving Ghana. Part of me thinks that if I admit it, it increases my chances of being here long-term. That's so silly, but I'm skilled at having irrational fears.

But I need to face it: I love Ghana. I love all of the awkward quirks that clash with my American mindset. I love the scorching sun, the unpredictable electricity, the lizards, the slow pace. I don't love these things because they're great or even okay in and of themselves. I love these things because they're a part of my experience with Ghana. They're a part of my time in Kumasi. And this place will forever be a part of my life. I will rejoice with it, and I will mourn with it. And no matter what, I will pray for it. I will expect my God to do a mighty work in this city and in this nation.

My heart for Ghana is kind of like my heart for my brothers: no matter how much it irks me, I'm never going to give up on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment