Duck Dynasty, The Hunger Games, and the World

In case you didn't know, I don't live in the good ol' US of A right now. This week, I live in Hungary. Next week is a different story.

Thankfully, Facebook keeps me in the loop on the happenings back in America. Right now, my News Feed is bombarded with photos and articles about this guy:



Apparently, he is no longer going to be on his TV show. He shared his personal beliefs about homosexuality and was dismissed from his show. (I am sure there is more to it, but that's the Reader's Digest version of lots of emotional bloggers.)

People are upset. Are you upset? Have you read those angry blogs? 

Some bloggers are angry that he was dismissed. Others are angry at all of the people (many who label themselves Christians) who are freaking out about it. 

Here's another blog about it. But I don't care about Duck Dynasty. I don't watch the show. I'm not going to start watching it or boycott its host station because of this. 

I do however care about The Hunger Games trilogy. I'm sure some of you do too. 



Do you remember when Katniss and Peeta experience the capitol? They are both furious - furious and disgusted. They see the culture of the capitol. Katniss and Peeta see all of these people caring about the wrong things: they overdo their fashion; they binge and then take a drink to make them vomit so that they can binge some more. 

The actions alone are not what infuriate Katniss and Peeta though. Oh, no. They are furious and disgusted because they know what happens outside of the capitol. They know that their people are oppressed; they know that there is not enough food for all in the districts. They know an entirely different life. And they cannot understand how all of the citizens of the capitol can live in ignorance. 

Today, I think I am beginning to understand how they feel. I live an entirely different life. Let me tell you a little about it.

I don't go to the TV for news. I don't normally have a TV. And when I do, everything showing is in a different language. Instead, I go to BBC News. Phil Robertson and his interview aren't featured on the main page. Instead, I see headlines like this:


There are big, bad things happening in the world. I would dare to say they are even worse than one person being dismissed from a private, American television show. 

There are 27 million slaves in the world today. Why don't we boycott companies that use those modern slaves?

Every second a person dies from hunger. 36 million people will die from hunger in 2013. Why don't we create awareness about this on Facebook? Why don't we proclaim the injustice here?

Over 10 million children will die from living in poverty in 2013. (This is connected to the hunger problem.) What if we advocated for the rights of these children?

What if we bombarded Facebook News Feeds with these injustices? What if we screamed and cried over this? What if we cared more about the world than a TV show? What if?

Can we? Please? I know people think Duck Dynasty is funny. I know people enjoy the show, its jokes, and its conversations about God. But what if we believed we could make a difference in the world? What if turned off the TV not to boycott but to do something greater? What if we freed the slaves and fed the hungry and helped the poor? What if?

Can we? Will we?

No comments:

Post a Comment