A Trip to South Dakota

Last week, I was in South Dakota. 

I went home to witness my dear cousin marry her best friend. 

Plenty of people asked me, "Is it worth it? I mean, is a wedding worth the plane ticket and the jet lag?"

At first, I thought "yes." Now my answer is "most definitely!" After all, my childhood best friend who blew out my birthday candles every year and never let me be the pink power ranger only gets married once. I am so grateful that I got to experience the epicness of that wedding.


But that's not all! I got to see more people that I love during my week at home. Here's a glimpse at some things I did and learned.

1. My brother took over my room after I left home this fall, so I got to room with my sister. She's  a great roommate, and it was fun to spend extra time with her, especially since she doesn't snore or host late night parties. Thanks, Kady!

2. I got to see this little cutie go off to pre-Kindergarten. She's growing up! I sure do miss her and the rest of my adorable cousins.


3. I was finally reunited with my first college roommate who also happens to be an old friend from middle school. After being in different places for a year and a half, it was wonderful to see her face-to-face again. 

4. My sister is a great cheerleader. It's fun to watch her cheer on awkward wrestling with my mom. Neither my mom nor I understand the system of the sport. 

5. I spent a lot of time in the car driving between Yankton and Sioux Falls. I learned that views like this steal my heart, and I actually love country music. #noshame


6. Although Skype is a beautiful thing, there is something magical about sitting down with a friend and having a conversation in person. Running errands together is also pretty great.

7. I really, really like dance parties. I also really like that I am at a stage in my life where I can spend dance parties being a weirdo with my siblings and cousins. Dancing with little girls is great. I know too many old songs, and if it's Ja Rule playing, I only know the unedited version. Awkward lesson, but it's helpful for the future.

8. When you leave and your mom redecorates, it's a joy to come back and see old pictures. And you just have to love the style of the '90s.


9. Watching the Dukes of Hazzard with my dad is potentially one of the greatest ways to spend a Sunday afternoon, and it brings back way too many childhood memories including car shows, video games, and crazy brothers.

10. I actually like my parent's dog. I don't love him as much as my dad does, but I do enjoy his company. And he still likes me. He also thinks he's a cat...


11. I have a new baby cousin, and he is adorable. I am so thankful that I got to meet Jaxx when he is still so tiny.


12. God is doing cool things in my childhood church family. I am thankful that I still get to be a part of it.

13. My sister is a barista at Starbucks and works with her best friend. That makes trips to buy coffee even better. It also reminds me of when I worked at a coffee shop with my best friend. Good times. 

14. Sioux Falls Young Life is fantastic. I have missed it so much. They had their tubing event while I was home, and I crashed the party. I am so thankful for those faithful leaders, and I am amazed at what God is doing in the lives of our high school friends.

15. Sleepovers are wonderful. Conversations about anything and everything are so great, especially when they are uninterrupted by internet problems. And Taco Bell is very generous to stay open so late for friends who lose track of time and forget to eat supper. 

16. Caribou Coffee still smells amazing, and MoKa time is great anywhere, even Caribou.

17. OfficeMax has a perks program. It only takes multiple trips there to be invited to participate. Ask about it. Join. It's great.

18. Coffee dates with friends give me life, especially when they are with friends I haven't spoken with in far too long.

19. Roommate reunions are beautiful things, and I actually miss the cuddliness of my three roommates from senior year. Also, some traditions should never die - like Five Guys and Tammy and the [Insert Leading Male's Profession Here] movies. 

20. Playing pinochle with my family brings me lots of joy even when I lose. 

21. My mom's daycare kids are ridiculous, but I love them, and they love me.

22. Practice doesn't always make goodbyes easier. 

My short trip home was great. I loved it. With some people, it was harder to say "see you later" than it ever has been. It hurt. 

I miss South Dakota. I don't miss the bitter cold, but part of my heart longs for the plains, the corn fields, the small country road wave, the usual coffee shops, the company, and familiar. 

As my dad drove my final stretch from Yankton to Sioux Falls (until July), I fought back tears. I love my team. I love seeing the world. I am thankful that God has invited me into this experience of ministry, but it is so hard. It hurts. 

When my dad and I said goodbye in the airport, we both finally broke into tears. Every other time, we have hid them and walked away. This time, we couldn't. We stood in the airport hugging and crying near some chatty teen girls. Somehow, that is what I needed. I needed to stop pretending like this is easy. I needed to acknowledge my hurt. 

For the first time, I cried on a plane about something other than a sappy movie. I stared out the window looking at the night's countryside between Sioux Falls and Chicago, and I cried. I don't think anyone else noticed, but I don't care if they did. 

I was blessed to spend a week in South Dakota, and I miss it. Part of me will continue to miss it throughout the rest of this journey. And I am realizing that that is okay -- that it is okay for me to love my hometown and the people there. I am blessed to call that place home and to call those people family and friends. 

And as I continue to transition back into life overseas, feel free to pray for my heart. I know this year, this change, is good, but it's still hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment