Easter Adventure 2014

Easter is by far my favorite day of the year. It has been since as far back as I can remember.

It used to be my favorite day because Easter is so joyful. I grew up wearing a pretty spring dress with white shoes and sometimes even a hat. My family would go to church, and after a long season of Lent, we would celebrate. The altar is redecorated. Alleluia songs resound. Easter dinner was a big shindig at Grandpa and Grandma's farm. Easter eggs were hunted. We always came out victorious. And it was always a warm, spring day; if it wasn't sunny, it had warm rain. There are so many things to love about my childhood Easter experiences. But the Alleluia songs were always my favorite. 

Since high school, Easter has changed for me. Easter is now my favorite day because the resurrection of Jesus changed (and is still changing) my life. Because Jesus sacrificed his own life and rose from the dead, you and I can have new life in him! And that is worth celebrating!

So I celebrate. I love Easter. I rejoice. Even the thought of it makes me rejoice.

Last year was my first Easter away from home -- my first Easter away from my church's Alleluia songs. It was so hard. It wasn't hard because I was away from home and didn't sing my favorite songs. It was hard because I saw brokenness in a culture I loved. I saw people strive to serve Jesus instead of celebrate Jesus. Serving Jesus isn't bad, but when we do so at the cost of rejoicing in him and loving him, it is. Jesus deserves to be celebrated. 

This year I experienced a wonderful Easter in Skopje, Macedonia. It surprised me. I mean, I knew I would love the day because no matter where I am celebrating, Jesus is still risen. [Hallelujah! Amen!] But the day was similar to my Christmas experience this year. I once again learned to celebrate and find joy in who God is and where he has me at the moment. 

Easter isn't joyful because I spend it with my family experiencing traditions I love. Easter is joyful because Jesus conquered death.

That was the real joy of my Easter adventure this year. The following details are just sweet little blessings from Jesus. 

My team went to Skopje for Easter. We live in a smaller city in Macedonia, but some great families invited us to stay with them for the weekend. That's right; we spent Easter with families. We are so blessed. 

On Saturday morning, two of my teammates and I hopped onto a bus for Skopje. I got mildly car-sick but managed to function throughout the day even after taking Dramamine. (That is a small blessing in itself!)

We were headed to an Easter picnic! Thankfully for me, it was a rainy day, so the picnic was indoors. I may have been the only person there who was excited about that fact, but I just don't like eating outside. There are bugs; there is wind; it's too complicated.

An indoor Easter picnic is a great idea. There were a few friends there and a lot of friendly strangers. I met new people, ate good food, chatted with friends I met a few weeks before, watched an Easter egg hunt, and played with children. It was loud, chaotic, and fun. It felt like holidays at my parents' house with kids running rampant and lots of great conversation.

The rest of the day was spent with one of those precious and gracious families who invited us to join them for the weekend. We chatted at their house, ate Domino's pizza, played a new game, and watched The Passion of the Christ. It was my first time seeing the movie, and the family even let me use their sweatshirt blanket. I so miss my Young Life sweatshirt blankie; I am surprised I am surviving without it this year. It was so nice to be wrapped up in a similar blanket. It was so nice to remember Jesus' miracle with great friends.

Easter morning was a beautiful thing. It was Easter! I spent my morning in the home of a wonderful family with three young boys who are 5, 2.5, and 1.5. It was glorious. Easter baskets were on the table:



And the family was gracious enough to include some chocolate and coffee for me and my teammate! Thank you, sweet friends!

Happy music played through the stereo, pancakes were in the making, and I enjoyed it all with this little man:



Not only was he wearing my favorite superhero's costume, but he was willing to share Buzz Lightyear with me! It was a morning full of beautiful blessings. (His brother was wearing TMNT PJs!)

After pancakes, coffee, and good morning conversation, I went to church with my teammates and the other family at an international church that spoke English. It wasn't like my traditional Easter service, but it was nice to simply understand what was happening -- another small blessing.

Once people were done mingling after church, we went back to the family's house to prepare for food and more company. I spent time in the kitchen with great women being told exactly what to do (which is my favorite way to spend time in the kitchen; just give me a task!). The hostess knew me well enough to know that I would rather cut vegetables and wash dishes than pull the pork for pulled pork sandwiches. That was a huge blessing. She didn't even know that I have only eaten two (maybe four) pulled pork sandwiches in the last fifteen years because of one terrible vomit experience. She just assumed that I would rather cut the veggies. Good assumption, friend! Thanks!

These sweet friends blessed us with wonderful American snacks and drinks: Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, Canada Dry, Tostitos with a hint of lime, and double stuffed Oreos. There is so much joy to be found in familiar foods, especially when they are a delightful surprise intentionally sought out and delivered from a military base in a nearby country! The fact that they shared these treats was even better than the treats themselves.

Sunday was a good day of helping in the kitchen, watching boys (and men) play with toy guns and Legos, having meaningful conversation, understanding more of what it means to serve, laughing, understanding more of what it means to be in community, and watching boys (and men) wrestle.



We gathered around the table -- my team, this family, and some of their dear friends whom we recently met -- and we shared a meal together. We experienced community. We celebrated Jesus. The day wasn't about the roast, or the cheesy potatoes, or the salad, or the wine, or any other delicious side dish. It was about Jesus. Our conversation was all over the place. We didn't just sit there reading about Jesus's miraculous defeat of death. But the whole shindig was still about him.



The day was about Jesus. It wasn't about the blessings I was experiencing in Skopje. It wasn't about the traditions I was missing out on at home. It was all about Jesus. It always is.

But I barely missed out on the adventures back home. My sister used Snapchat well to make sure I was included. I took more screenshots on Sunday than ever before. Here's some of what she included me in:









When I finally asked her if she was just trying to make me jealous, my sweet baby sister sent this: 



And this:



She included me well. I "experienced" Easter morning brunch at my family's church and the adventure of competing to be the favorite older cousin. 

Later that night I Skyped with my family and saw everyone in action.



Even a sweet uncle wiping chocolate off his daughter's face. It was so good.

But I left Skype early because I wanted to celebrate with my friends in Skopje. I think that was the sweetest moment of Easter (outside of celebrating the resurrection): that desire to be fully present where I was.

That desire doesn't come often, but I guess when you're celebrating Jesus, it comes easily.

The night ended well. More great conversations happened. Laughter roared. Apple pie, coffee, and snickerdoodle cookies were involved. I grabbed the sweatshirt blanket again. More laughter resounded in the room. It was a good night.

Monday was also a great day. We spent some time with the family that opened up their home and guest bedroom to me and Ruth. We ate Cheerios and had a slow morning. We went on an adventure. They invited us to experience some incredible nature with them. We went to Matka Canyon. Beautiful is an understatement.






Everything was so gorgeous. We went for a walk, but everyone parted ways. I ended up just standing and staring at the river, rocks, and trees by myself for awhile. 

And it rained. I love rain. God has been using rain to teach me sweet lessons these past two years. With that beautiful view around me, I got to stand in the rain and soak it all in. I set my umbrella aside and let the rain fall on me. I didn't want to get my clothes soaked though, so I am so thankful for my umbrella.



It was refreshing. I experienced life. I saw bright colors. I had renewed joy. I dwelt on the resurrection of Jesus, and I grew in my understanding of the goodness of God. 

We gathered together again, and I got to enjoy the sweet boys and their wonderful parents once more. Look at these studs:




After the adventure, we said goodbye and returned to the other family before our train departed.

We chatted. We laughed. We drank coffee. We said "see you later," and it hurt. But it was good. The whole Easter adventure was good. It was difficult to leave such a beautiful place with wonderful company.

However, life must continue. The adventure isn't over. There is more to do, more to see, more to learn. The resurrection is still real, and there are people who need to hear about it. 

Alleluia! Christ is risen!

[And the next day, my mom "gave" me Easter chocolate over Skype. She's thoughtful. I hope it's still good (or even there) in two months!]

No comments:

Post a Comment