Rain


The other day, I packed up my backpack to head to campus. I made sure I had everything I may possibly want throughout the day: my purse and all its contents, my laptop with charger and adapter, my Bible, my notebook, and plenty of water. I began my walk, and it started to sprinkle just as I arrived outside of my destination. I went inside and hoped the rain would be done when I was ready to leave. 

Thankfully, when I left, the rain was gone, and the sun was shining. But as I walked along, it started to sprinkle. Then it started to actually rain. Since the Midwest was experiencing a lack of rain this summer, I soaked it in; I was okay with being wet. It was decently refreshing. But as I walked, I realized my morning packing was flawed. It always is. I only prepare for rain if it’s already raining. I only remember my umbrella when I hear the rain and thunder and see the lightning. 

Never do I consider the fact that it might rain. Never do I throw my beautiful light blue, white polka dotted umbrella into my backpack just in case it rains. My lack of preparation made me question for what else I am unprepared. It’s not just rain.

Multiple contemporary Christian songs talk about what God rains down on us: grace, mercy, love. What if I’m unprepared for those things? What if I only prepare for them when I’m already witnessing them, already seeing and hearing them?

I’m willing to bet I’m missing the opportunity to experience and witness quite a bit of God’s rain. If it’s not right in front of me, I don’t really look for it.

My walk in the rain was refreshing, and it’s not just because I felt the cool rain. It’s also because I learned more about the rain we get from God and the fact that I need to prepare for it more often, be more open to the fact that it’s probably going to rain everyday all day.

I honestly won’t start packing my umbrella on a daily basis, but I will be looking out for more of God’s rain, watching his clouds show the signs of the coming rain. I hope you’re looking for it and preparing for it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment