Why Goodbye?

Today I finished my goodbyes in Ghana. Most of them were an "I hope to see you later" instead of a goodbye, but they're all done. Now it's just me and Emma waiting to return to America. The rest of my team is gone; they're headed back home to Kumasi, a home that is no longer mine. And I'm just waiting in the Guest Centre at the University of Ghana with all of my luggage. (And I didn't even go over my baggage weight limit!)



I've dreaded the last two weeks. I despise saying goodbye. I prefer to avoid it; I like the whole concept of saying "I'm sure I'll see you before I go," and if I don't see them, it's okay. In my opinion, it's better than a goodbye. 

But I've been trying to learn how to be better at goodbyes. I decided not to be the one who says, "I'm sure I'll see you before I go." Others have said it to me without seeing me again, but I won't complain. I understand. I don't blame them. I feel the same way.

Last night, I had my final time of pillow talk with some teammates (in Ghana... I'm expecting sleepovers in the future, ladies!). My lovely friend asked me, "Why do you think God created goodbyes?"

That, my friends, is such a good question. I don't think I have the complete answer, but I do want to share my thoughts with you.

1. We live in a broken world. I don't think God had goodbyes in his original plan for creation. I mean, there wasn't death, and the garden appeared to have everything the people needed, so there was no reason to leave. Before the fall, there was no reason to say goodbye. Stupid sin. Ick. It ruins everything.

2. It gives us an opportunity to have an eternal perspective. Now, I must confess that I do not enjoy this reason. I would much rather prefer to sulk and let my emotions go wherever they want to go. I think that if I have an eternal perspective, I shouldn't experience any sadness or anger. That's a lie. I can be sad as I say goodbye. I can even be a little mad about it. Friends, we don't have to hide our emotions. But during all of our emotions, we're meant to acknowledge that this is not the end. The end involves a new heaven and a new earth and all the believers gathered worshiping Jesus. Goodbye is not goodbye forever. And if we don't see each other again until the new creation, we're not even going to care then. We're going to be in the presence of the LORD!!! Let's celebrate that even when we're dreading those goodbyes!

3. Goodbyes and leaving remind us that nothing else is more important than loving and following Jesus. And sometimes that will include goodbyes. Remember the original disciples? Some left their fathers and fishing boats to follow Jesus, and they didn't even realize he was God when they did it! Let's rejoice during goodbyes knowing that both parties are following God's will for their lives even when it hurts.

4. Saying goodbye well and for the purpose of the LORD glorifies God and is a witness to the world. Yep. People see your crazy actions and your pain about the change, and they know that you whole-heartedly believe in the God you profess. It's hard, but you get that he's worth it, and other people see that.

Goodbyes are still hard. I still despise them. Most of my goodbyes haven't seemed real yet, but they will in approximately 6 hours when I'm on a plane without any idea of when / if I'll return to Ghana. But I know this is good. I'm still going to cry. A LOT. But I know this is good. God's will is for me to return home for the summer and go to Eastern Europe and Russia in the fall. His will for my life is going to include a whole lot of goodbyes, and he'll get the glory for each one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment