Life-Giving Words

I love words. My love for reading began in elementary school. My love for writing also began in elementary school, died in middle school, and recently came back to life in college. I love thesauruses. I love word choice options. I even enjoy grammar. I love words and all that they represent.

Because I love words, "words of affirmation" is my favorite "love language." It's how I like to show people love, and it's how I prefer to receive love. Honestly, I attempt to negate verbal affirmation, but somehow it's still my preference.

Even though I love words and greatly desire to encourage the people in my life, I continue to struggle with sarcasm. Earlier this year, I resolved to let go of sarcasm. Yet I still find myself saying things that unintentionally cut down other people. Gross. I so badly want to affirm people and build them up rather than tear them down in order to build up myself. I'm trusting God to continue to help me make this change.

I've noticed that sarcasm has been gaining more of my speech since I've been back in SD. The place reminds me of old habits, and sarcasm has been slowly sneaking it's way back into my life. Friends, please continue to call me out when I say stupid, sarcastic things. I'm a slow learner, and I need help in this

During this recent sarcasm dilemma, my love for words has been growing, and I've been learning more about the importance of words.

A week ago, I was reading from the book of Proverbs. I enjoy the simple reminders in that book; they are wise words that I often forget. I read one verse that stuck with me all week:
The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain; the words of the wicked conceal violent intentions. (Proverbs 10:11)
Wow. That is such a big statement. "The words of the godly are a life-giving fountain." I love water and rain, so I like fountains quite a bit. As soon as I read that sentence, I thought, "I want my words to be a life-giving fountain." How neat is it that our words can have the power to give life? Our words have the potential to be more powerful than this:


I'm thinking it takes a lot of power for that water to be crazy like that. And fountains are always flowing; that's the purpose behind them. They keep working. The words of the godly can give life continuously as well. So stinkin' neat.
But that's not all.
The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain;    those who accept it avoid the snares of death. (Proverbs 13:14)
Whoa. The words of the godly and the instruction of the wise have awesomeness in common. So great.

I am in Christ, and his Spirit is working in me giving me wisdom and understanding. Therefore, the words that come out of my mouth (or out of my pen or onto my blog and social media) are meant to give life to others.
So I'm deciding to let go of more of me and stop speaking sarcasm when I don't know what else to say. I will most likely be more quiet in large groups (which seems nearly impossible). But I want what I do say to give life to the people around me. I want to love others well through my words. And if that means speaking even less often, so be it. My words are meant to give life, not kill it. I want to show Jesus through my speech. I want to help people avoid death.

Will you join me in attempting to give more life through your words as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment