Returning to Writing

Back in November, I made a spontaneous decision to participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

I learned a lot through the writing process. I experienced moments of writer's block. I pushed through when I wanted to quit. And I won! (Winning means reaching the word count of 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo.)

But I didn't finish my novel. The story of Emily Ann, the orphan, was left incomplete. I thought after a short break, I would return to writing and finish her story quickly. 

Life happened. I kept pushing the novel aside. Emily Ann could wait. She's a fictional character. There's no reason to finish writing now. I have plenty of time. I didn't plan on entering the hardcore editing season until I returned home and could print the novel and attack it with colorful pens. 

I return home in 22 days. I opened up my novel today and discovered that I haven't written anything since January 25. It has been four months since I added to the story of Emily Ann. 

Now, I have mentally written things. There are sticky notes covering my computer's desktop screen reminding me of ideas that came at inopportune writing times. The novel has a clear direction. I just kept avoiding it.

But not today. I opened up the document, and I wrote. As I returned to Emily Ann's world, I was reminded of how connected I am to her. I am so invested in this angry, lonely orphan. I desperately want to finish my novel, to resolve a little more of Emily Ann's story. 

I have a significant amount of free time the next few days. Weekends and holidays are such a blessing. 

So during my free time, I am resolving to spend a little more time in Emily Ann's world, a little more time writing at my computer. I will drink more coffee and tea. I will maybe even grow to enjoy the view from my kitchen table. 

You may think, that's great, Kayla, but why are you telling us this?

That's a great question, and I don't know why I'm writing an entire blog post about this. Maybe it's a partial confession that I neglected finishing something I started. Maybe it's for accountability: an invitation for you to ask questions about writing and finishing this novel. 

I think part of the answer is that I'm excited to finish this. I'm excited for Emily Ann's story to unfold even further and nearly resolve. I also know that it will be difficult to jump back into her world and into her fictional head. Her story hurts. When I write her story, I hurt. 

The pain of her life is most likely one of the reasons I have avoided dealing with it. She is angry, abandoned, misunderstood. It's hard to enter into that, but I believe it is necessary. So I'll write. I think her story is the story of far too many high school girls. Even though Emily Ann is not real, I firmly believe that her story should be told. 

So I'm writing. If you're bored or intrigued and looking for something to read, let me know. I want others to be involved in the process, and I am craving constructive, critical feedback. 

Here's to productive writing time and soon-to-be-completed first drafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment